7/17/2010

I was melting, and am currently melting.

          It is hot as hell in Rome.  Took a picture the other day of the thermometer at it read 40C (104F).  That wasn't even the hottest part of the day.  Roskilde, (the music festival I went to in Denmark) was much the same.  Except is was completely Danish in the fact that at night it would get down to about 45F.
          Roskilde was absolutely amazing.  Filled with lots of crazy antics, great music and lots of new friends.  I don't know how else to explain it except that it is what I imagine Woodstock was like with a more 90s music grunge vibe to it.  The festival started off being a little hectic, (we had to move from the place we had originally set up camp) but thanks to Ditte and Nanna being employees of the festival all worked out for the best.  Our camp was called "Much Too Much Camp" in honor of an artist playing at the festival.  Before we got to the festival we spent a few hours youtubing the acts to see which bands we might want to go to.  Ditte stumbled across one named Bonaparte with a song called "Too Much".  The lyrics are pretty funny and we became obsessed with the song before the festival started.  During Roskilde we played the song everyday, and the words. "much too much" became staples in conversation.  I'll put the video link at the bottom of this blog post.  Each person in our camp has their favorite lyric, but mine is, "You know Tolstoy, I know Playboy."  See Russia is everywhere!!
         Bonaparte had become a running joke and we didn't actually expect the band to be very good but we were pleasantly surprised!  All of us are attempting to plan a reunion concert somewhere in Germany this september.  Hopefully it will work out!  Other bands that I saw at Roskilde were.... The Prodigy, Them Crooked Vultures, The Gorillaz, Dizzy Mizz Lizzy, Vampire Weekend, Nephew, Muse, Paramore, Jack Johnson, Bonaparte, LCD Soundsystem and so many more.  It was the experience of a lifetime and I'm so happy that I went and met the people I did!
         After recovering at Claus and Birgitte's, (per normal when I visit Denmark) Ditte and I finally embarked on our week and a half trip together!  We went to Corsica for four days which was absolutely amazing.  We stayed with a family who was just adorable.  The dad, Jean Patrick was a fisherman and his wife Vanessa worked in the port.  The two kids, Luca and Ammandine where so cute!  We went to the river, the beach, went for a swim in the pool, celebrated the World Cup final with the entire family (25 + people) and even went scuba diving!  Corsica was completely magical and we really didn't want to leave.  After a short stay (one day) in Sardinia, we took the ferry over to Rome.  The time I've spent here has also been great.  The first evening our hosts (three very nice Italian men named Marco, Alberto and Carlo) took us to see an acapella concert outside of the city.  The group was so good and actually sang tons of old school southern songs!  Apparently they love gospel and that type of stuff so that was a bizarre twist!  Otherwise Ditte and I have just been exploring all of Rome for what it has to offer.  Which, as anyone can tell you, is a ton.  We did The Vatican City the first day which was absolute tourist hell... however, after some random mishap about Ditte forgetting to return her audio guide to the correct place (they had taken her passport as insurance), we had to have the swiss guards / po po escort us through the museum and thus... got to see the sistine chapel with no one else inside!  The 15 seconds we got to walk through in complete silence was MUCH preferred to the loud sardine can it felt like we had been in two hours earlier.  Second day was Museums, Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.  Yesterday we relaxed in Villa Borghese, a park in the northern part of the city, and stumbled across some Shakespeare!  We decided to buy tickets, and ended up going to "The Globe" to see Two Gentlemen From Verona.  Still very funny though in Italian and a great way to spend the evening.  Ditte left this morning to head back to Denmark, and I'm taking the day to sort out some things.   These next few days I'm going to be on the move, three days Florence, one day Chinque Terre, four days Milan, three days Switzerland, one day liechtenstein, three days Poland and then, finally, two weeks in London housesitting for Sam and Rachel!  Charde is even going to visit me there when I'm in London so I can't wait!!  Until the lovely overcast skies of london all I'm going to try to do is stop having massive amounts of back-sweat (SO sexy) and enjoy the last few hours I have in Rome, and my next two weeks.

Bonaparte - Too Much! <----- Take a listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment