I know I've talked in detail about how much I love couchsurfing, but let me just tell you this past week has made me love it even more. Right after I wrote my last blog post I got a text message from my friend Agnieszka who had been my host in Warsaw this past January. It happened that she had logged in and couchsurfing, (since we are friends on the site) showed where I had last logged from. She texted to say that she was in Rome as well, and that we should meet up for lunch etc. The next day we did just that, and after wandering around Rome for the day together we both decided to change our plans a bit so we could travel with each other. I scrapped a trip to Florence and decided to head to Perugia with Agnieszka for two days. In Perugia we stayed with Cristina, (who was totally cool with me surfing her couch as well) which was very beautiful and the perfect relief from the insanity that was the heat in Rome. While there we even had a couchsurfing dinner party at Cristina's with Carrie from China who was in the area taking a month long Italian course.
After leaving Perugia Agnieszka and I headed to Cinque Terre, which is a group of five towns on the Italian coast. Mel, a friend who studied in Italy, had insisted that I was not allowed to leave Italy without seeing Cinque Terre, so Agnieszka decided to postpone her Napoli trip to go with me. We had a great two days there, and the 12 km hike that I did was fabulous. It was a windy trail along the coast with breathtaking views, and it was a great way to spend the day. We split up the next day and I finally headed to Milan and Agnieszka to Napoli. Along the way I decided to splurge and stay in a hotel in Milan, (I'm only here two nights) and while trying to figure out where I had to go outside of the Milan train station I ran into a nice French man who was trying to figure out where to buy bus tickets. I told him a tobacco shop around the corner should have them, and then as fate would have it we were all headed in the same direction. Ben, (the Frenchman) and his girlfriend, (Anna) also happened to be staying at my same hotel, are couchsurfers AND to top off the cake, are moving to New York in one month! He works for the french embassy and Anna is going to work at the UN!!!!!! FATE!!!!!
We all went out for dinner and drinks together, and today I spent a while compiling a list of things they have to do / things they have see / places they have to eat at home.
If that wasn't enough proof about why couchsurfing is awesome another one of my hosts, Milou from Amsterdam just texted me telling me she is in Milan too! I'm headed out in an hour for dinner and drinks with her. If any of you reading this post are planning on travelling soon and want to meet some super class people you should join couchsurfing. Big thank you again to Shley for turning me onto the website. My trip wouldn't have been the same, (and I suspect not quite as awesome) without it. Can't wait to get a place of my own so I can start hosting!
7/25/2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment