5/05/2010

Seasons still exist as I plan the most epic summer EVER!

       For the past few years or so I have sadly watched as my favorite seasons grew shorter and shorter.  I attribute this to global warming.  Having arrived in Istanbul four days ago I cannot tell you how amazing it felt stepping out of the airport and feeling like I was actually experiencing spring again!  The weather here is amazing.  It is still cool enough that you can wear jeans and maybe even a light scarf but, throughout the day the sun shines and green is everywhere.  One thing that I for sure realized in Indonesia is that I can handle the cold waaaaaaay better then I can handle the heat.  I mean, I travelled Finland, Lithuania, Poland and Czech Republic from December to February and I didn't mind the cold then.  Don't get me wrong, it was really freaking cold, but I enjoyed it!  I mean, it's supposed to be cold in the winter, that I get.  The scorching heat of Indonesia and the humid air of Thailand and Hong Kong made me realize that my scandinavian and eastern european blood must stake claim on about 90% of my body mass because there is no way I could ever live somewhere that it is hot all the time.  You just get all sticky and sweaty and just plain yucky; I'll take some numb toes over that any day!  AND I'll especially take this lovely spring time weather that has decided to grace Istanbul.  You wake up every morning and it is just calling you outside to come and play!  So far I've just wandered around my area a lot, sat and read in the local parks, and tried to shy away from the major tourist destinations - they seem like a daunting task!  Tomorrow, however, here I come Blue Mosque!  And Spice Market you better be ready for my bargaining skills!
      Ever since visiting Turkey with my family in 2005 for a business wedding I have been excited about returning to Istanbul.  Especially because it factors so predominantly into my parents own romantic meet, travel, fall in love, move to new york, have two children (one especially amazing) love story.  So far the city hasn't let me down, though, I don't think it could.  The first two days here in an attempt to get over my jet lag I also decided to work on planning the rest of my travels out, haha, or at least the next three months.  Focus on the important things, Greece (for a month!!!) Italy (another month!!!) Denmark (for Roskilde festival AHHHH!) and Germany (with Shley!).  I can't even tell you how my planning has pumped me up for the summer.  It is going to be absolutely EPIC.  I am going to eat soooo much amazing food and meet so many cool people!  Greece, obviously, is going to be amazing due to my obsession with Greek mythology and old buildings.  Plus I've already started eating about a quarter of a block of feta a day....   I'm also really excited about Roskilde festival.  I have a random memory from when I first remember travelling to Denmark with my family of my uncle Claus getting mad at Jonas because he disappeared for a few days and went to Roskilde without telling them.  And then of him returning home looking absolutely crazy and smiling and just saying how awesome it was.  Or something along those lines... I may have romanticized it a tad, but I have always wanted to go since then, and this year is my time!  My friend Ditte and I have got our tickets, our tent and our rain boots and we are ready to go for a week of all out music festival fun.  Bring it on Denmark!!!  As for Italy, I don't need to say anything.  I've never heard about anyone not having a good time in Italy.  Also, by the time I get to Germany it will be great to see a familiar face of a really great friend.  It won't matter that Shley has german class four days a week (really in the summer?!?) because I'm sure I'll manage to find enough things soviet and cold warish in Berlin to occupy me for a lifetime.  Plus, if I ever do get bored I can always go grab a stein of beer!
     Anyway, I have another week and a half here in Istanbul before I head to Ephesus where I plan to see the old temple dedicated to Artemis.  I can't wait to see all of these ancient greek monuments!  Plus I'm going to pick up as many evil eye beads as I possibly can.  I wear the bracelet that I purchased in Greece in my senior year of high school on every flight and they haven't let me down yet!  Plus they make good gifts and everyone could use a little good luck, or someone, or something to watch their back from time to time, (mine I like to think is a combination of Buddha and some kind of kick ass powerful woman who looks like Athena, but that's just me).  Expect to get some coming to you.  Until next time, lots of love from the land of Europe and Asia!

Me at the main mosque in Banda Aceh, Indonesia.


Myself, Jenny and Kaite on our bungalow porch in Pulau Weh, Indonesia.


Morning in Sabang.


Buddhist Temple Hong Kong.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Claire! Glad you seem to be feeling better. I happened to see an article about 3 young women who traveled around the world: http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2010-05-11-lostgirls11_CV_N.htm They wrote a book about the trip and now have a website: http://www.lostgirlsworld.com/rtw-trip/
    Think you can get a book out of your trip? Keep having fun, Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I don't think I could get a book out of my trip, but will for sure be getting a life time of memories! I looked at the article, sounds like a great time and I definitely agree with South Africa, it is amazing there! Hope all is well back at home. Lots of love, Claire

    ReplyDelete