5/27/2010

And The Clock Starts Ticking.... While Will Shortz Continues To Baffle Me From Abroad

So I am Officially back in Europe!  Today has been a long day of travel, and it isn’t even over yet.  I woke at 7:30am got on a small ferry from Kusadasi (Turkey) headed to Samos (Greece) and now am en route to Athens!  I am so excited that I have been randomly smiling all day.  Which I think is a big deal because being a New Yorker I am not programmed to smile at random people - or at random in general.  BUT today I have been unable to stop.  The ferry I’m on right now has been like a little teaser for what is to come.  We’ve hit almost every island possible, (or at least it feels like that) on our way to Athens and it has made me so excited for the next month of Greek travels! 
            Of course, I am also over the moon about Athens.  Even though there have been protests these past few weeks and the country, to put it mildly, isn’t in the best shape I have been looking forward to this for so long that nothing can dull my excitement.  Parthenon here I come! Agora! Acropolis! Blue and White everywhere!  SPANICOPITA!!!!  Too bad I don’t like ouzo, but who knows, maybe second time’s the charm.  I’m planning on staying in Athens for a week and then going to the islands of Mykonos, Delos, Santorini and one other.  I want to see what some locals suggest going to see for my last island.  Hopefully something a little more remote, with some great hiking trails!  I think that hiking would be the best (and least expensive) way for me to see the islands.  Obviously, I’ll have to lend some serious time to sunbathing and reading as well – my Thai tan is starting to fade and that is unacceptable.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate, I want to be in tip top tan shape for Roskilde!!
            Anyway, since I’ve been travelling all day I decided at one point to pull out my crossword puzzles.  It is worth it to note that when visiting Jenny in Indonesia we finished all my Monday and Tuesday Puzzles so doing a puzzle is now a long process and one I have to mentally prepare myself for.  Now I thought that today was a good day, I wasn’t feeling especially stupid, but Will Shortz you get me every time!  Some how I generally manage to get the long clues within the puzzle relatively quickly but mess up the small words!  I mean really, I just don’t know some of these! Throw back to the days of my freshman year of GW when I did Monday through Thursday Puzzles.  Sometimes I feel like my generation works against me, though, mom you would be happy that I ALWAYS get the musical clues and today’s Deborah _____ from “The King and I” was no different.  K-E-R-R Shortz! I fear I will have to train long and hard to get back to my former puzzle solving skills.  (Also mother, if you wouldn’t mind to start collecting some more and sending them to Claus and Birgitte?? I would realllly enjoy that!  I can pick them up when I’m there next month!)  If that wasn’t enough Will Shortz for you, he also is the editor of my Sudoku book, which has been whipping my butt lately as I now only have “Demanding” and “Beware! Very Challenging!” puzzles left.
            After a day of sitting on a boat, being mentally beaten by the fabulous Mr. Shortz and watching the scenery pass me by I am thoroughly worn out.  I’m looking forward to my couch tonight and can’t wait for morning.  With it brings not only the city of Athens but greek yogurt with honey and pineapple!  I don’t think life could get much better than this.

Sneaky Sneaky Man!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Finally read your reply to my comment. We were away at Kate's graduation. She and 4 friends are on a 4 week road trip around the US. They're blogging it at http://amtraktrain.blogspot.com/
    Coincidentally, I've been clipping NY Times crosswords for her friends Sophie & Julia. It's a bit late for suggestions for Greek islands, but Dick & I felt we'd gone back centuries wandering thru the olive groves on Naxos, & there's great hiking on Crete. Happy travels! Ginny

    ReplyDelete