I fully admit that I don't think I'm a good sick person. I hate being sick, and I surely do not like going to the doctor. This, I have decided, to blame on my mother since she never ever EVER goes to the doctor when she is sick. I mean ever. So, thus my ambivalence is hereditary. Since travelling I've been pretty lucky about my health. I had my foot thing for about a month and a half before I finally got it fixed, (thank you Denmark!) and other than that I've just had a cold during the winter for a bit, but who doesn't get those. Unfortunately my good luck seems to have run out because now I am miserable. I had a feeling that I was going to have difficulty with the food in Asia, (again my genes working against me, thanks Dad!) but I was hoping that my body was just going to adjust. As most of you know I am a semi-veg-chici-tarian but since travelling I have tended to stay off of meats in general. This is because sometimes my food orders get lost in translation and I end up paying for it later. Not so much fun, so in a bid to avoid mystery meats and stomach aches I have stayed a veggie.
Sadly this plan did not help me in Indonesia. Not at all. Nor did it help me in Thailand. (Apparently I can only stomach the sketchy Thai places from home and not the actual Thai food in Thailand.) And, as I'm sure you can guess, it has not helped me in Hong Kong. Being sick, especially from the food you eat, puts a major damper on a trip. Currently I'm in Hong Kong with my friend Jeff, who I haven't seen in almost a year and all I can manage is a daily trip outside for a bit of air, and a stop at the 7/11 to stock up on gatorade and water. I'm sure Hong Kong is great, the parts that I did manage to see on the first day were awesome, but this part of the trip has been a big bummer. Thank goodness Jeff is a good enough friend to not care about not seeing Hong Kong, (he lives in China and has been here quite a lot) and that he is willing to put up with me being sick. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
So, finally after four days of not being able to keep anything down, (apologies to any random people who stumbled upon this blog but it is for those who know me well and have probably seen me in worse shape) I have decided to seek medical attention. I know I will pay dearly for it, Hong Kong is probably the most expensive city I have visited so far, but at least I'll be able to eat! I'm hoping that when I head to the hospital tomorrow they'll tell me it's just a travelling virus thing, give me some antibiotics and send me on my way. I would, after all, like to see some of the city and I only have three days left. Also, since this is Asia they have this temperature tester thing after you get off every plane, (I think since SARS) and if I still have a fever when I get back to Phuket things could go not so great. Would really like to go back to Thailand since that's where I'm flying to Turkey from! Anyway, hoping that what what everyone says is true, that "if you're going to get sick, get sick in Hong Kong". Here I go to test the theory. Wish me luck.
P.S. If this is Malaria I'm going to be pissed. I'll never forgive you Indonesia.
P.P.S. I've never missed Dad's home cooking this much before. Please airmail me "Mound O' Shrimp"
4/25/2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment