4/08/2010

Jenny, Jambi and Jilbabs!

So I have finally made it into Asia.  My first time here, and so far a blast.  Though the effort that it took to get here was a little insane.  I flew London - Dubai - Jakarta - Jambi.  Longest travel day of my trip so far.  I was so out of sorts when I finally reached my final destination on the island of Sumatra that I didn't know what time it was, or what time it was supposed to be.  I've been trying to adjust these past few days but I still find myself going to bed pretty late, and waking up later as well.  Which isn't the worst thing though because Indonesia is freaking hot.  So damn hot.  I don't know how people here don't drink gallons and gallons of water a day.  I fill up my nalgene constantly, which by the way people here think is hilarious and synonymous with being an American girl because Jenny and I both have them.  Apparently this isn't even the hot season.  All I want to do is wear shorts and a tank top, but my t-shirt and jeans is nothing I think compared to the full dress and head scarf that the women here wear.  I sweat just looking at them.  Insanity.  BUT, they also grew up here and are used to it and I have known since, well, forever that I do better in old climates.  Give me Helsinki in December any day over being hot!
      That being said, however, I am having a fabulous time here.  Seeing Jenny is so wonderful, and it is great to finally meet all of the people she's been telling me about, and see where she lives.  She lives basically in the center of town, and the apartment is a short distance from everything on her motorbike.  The apartment she lives in is a good size, bigger than I would have thought, though, as expected is an adjustment from everyday life.  There is no running hot water, but there is a water cooler that has a hot faucet so every morning I make coffee!  That's all I really need hot water for here anyways!  The bathroom takes a bit of getting used to, but so far everything has worked out well.  The toilet is essentially a porcelain hole in the ground, and Jenny and I have decided is quite sexist.  It is way easier for guys to use than women, but I have managed, and feel a sense of accomplishment afterward.   Haha, I know bizarre, but I'll have to attach a picture or something so you get the gist.  The showers aren't that big of a deal.  Basically a throw back to Russia when they decide to shut off the hot water for two weeks and you have to use a tub and a ladle.  Besides, the cold water is a welcome wake up in the morning, though I do always have a few quick inhales due to shock.
       The women that Jenny works with, and the friends she has introduced me to are all really friendly and excited to practice their english.  It is a compulsory course here in Primary School and many people are very good!  I'm feeling very much like a local, especially since Jenny now knows the places to go to get some of the more western comforts.  The peanut butter here is pretty fabulous.  I had some great grilled corn with some kind of sweet sauce on the river the other evening with Jenny, which minus the rats that could probably take on a full size NYC subway dweller, made for a beautiful evening.  I've really enjoyed my time here, but tomorrow we're heading up to the Northern part of the island for some scuba diving!!!  I'll miss the faint sounds of men playing badminton late into the night outside of my window, however, I won't miss being a buffet for the mosquitos here.  Malaria medicine here I come!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire! You've traveled far! When I was in Turkey nearly 40 years ago, modern, middle-class homes with hot and cold running water had squat toilets because people preferred them. They're actually supposed to be healthier for what was delicately called elimination. Turks were horrified that Westerners cleaned themselves with only paper, instead of water from the tap located to the left of the hole. I was constipated for a week, then learned to do my business very quickly. I've threatened to send the rest of my family to live with squat toilets for a while, so they'd learn to take less time in the bathroom. I suppose in the old days, when women wore skirts with no underpants, these toilets weren't that much more inconvenient for women than for men. Stay healthy and keep posting! Ginny

    ReplyDelete