Ireland was great, some of the best fun that I have had, and seeing Christine made me so happy! Though I haven't yet experienced homesickness, having her visit made me realize how much I miss all of my friends. Currently I am playing the lottery so that I can fly all of you out to meet me somewhere - and those of you that have promised to come meet me, I'm holding you to it! I don't even know where to begin about Ireland, a place more beautiful then I pictured, with people the most welcoming people of my trip so far. It was also my first rental car experience, and even though it severely dented our pockets, Christine and I agreed that there is no other way to do Ireland properly. First of all our car became such a part of our trip that we named him. Attached at the bottom is a picture of our beloved Conor O'Conner. Let it be noted that we couldn't stop naming cars so when ever we saw that model of Nissan a name was created. Conor's cousin Michael O' Malley, his girlfriend Sally O'Sullivan and a girl with questionable character, Gracie O'Grady. Hahaha, we had so much fun driving around Ireland, and even though it was a challenge driving on the other side of the road we only had one or two near death experiences. Also, it is important to note for anyone renting a car in the future in Ireland, I have never, and probably will never again see that many roundabouts in one place. There is no such thing as a stop sign in Ireland; they just put a traffic circle there instead. Crazy Irish!
To say that we had fun there would be an understatement. We met some fabulous people to Eoghan from Cork, Roisin from Sligo and, I kid you not, Paddy O'Toole from Dublin, there was nothing about our trip that could have been improved except for the length of our trip. Both Christine and I were very very sad to leave. Post Ireland though, my mom flew into London to meet me before we both departed for South Africa. We stayed with Sam and Rachel but got to meet up with Philip and Amanda for a lovely stroll through the Heath. The view from the top is great, and I felt so very English. Haha, I do love the English! I think the question is not when I'm going to move to London, but for how long.
After London, mom and I flew to South Africa to meet up with my dad. A more hectic and bizarre plane ride has never occurred. It included vodka, panic pills and turbulence. I was not a happy camper, and my mom.... well you'll have to ask her about that story. I think it was all capped off when I asked the flight attendant for some help and she said, "I'll come back when I finish with the duty free". Thanks South African Airways. Thanks a lot. BUT putting that crazy flight behind us, and meeting my father a day later this family vacation has been one of the best. Minus the fact that Nora isn't here, I really do think you'd like it here B-Bop, we've tasted some great wine, hiked all over the Southern coast, taken a dip in the Indian Ocean, had coffee with lions at 5:30am, stalled out while drinking coffee with the lions, seen a poor warthog die :( , lots and lots of elephants, naughty baboons, zebras, springbok, lions, impala, rhinos, hippos, lions, giraffe, baby giraffe! And, oh yea, some LIONS!
Cape Town has been pretty great as well. Dad and I tried to get to Robben Island but they had cancelled all of the boats that day due to the weather so I'm going to try and work it in before I head back to fundon town. It is a must see! I'm heading back to Stellenbosch to stay with a girl I met on safari named Abbi, (goes to school in Maine) and then probably going to couch surf for a few days in Cape Town. Or maybe I'll head to Simons town, who knows! All I do know though is that I never want to leave South Africa. But since I must, mom and dad, let's plan another trip, because we've only just started! Enjoy the pictures below!
Cliffs of Moher
Conor O'Conner!
I was so tired.
Well hello there!
Hi Claire! Glad you've been having such a good time. Sorry to hear that hitchhiking is no longer the best way to get around Ireland. Back in the day (nearly 40 years ago) almost every one of the friendly Irish who had room would pick you up, & I got rides from airline employees returning lost luggage & a car full of nuns who were teaching their newest member how to drive - come to think of it, maybe that wasn't the safest ride ever. Happy travels! Ginny
ReplyDelete