2/17/2010

Things I love: Prague and Khrushchev-Era Apartments


            So I finally made it back to Prague, and this time I finally saw the city! Absolutely amazing. I was so happy to finally be in Czech Republic and to be seeing all of the places that I have been learning about these past four years that I almost didn't leave. Being surrounded by a city that holds so much history completely awed me. There is just this vibe about Prague that makes you slow down, listen and appreciate everything the city is offering you. I couldn't get enough. My host was also this very nice girl named Sarka who shares a mutual love of Hillary Clinton, (or as I like to call her Hill-Dog - the pair being Hill-Dog and Bill-Dog) loved International politics, and was just genuinely a great person. My first evening in Prague I cooked her a very basic meal of rice and lentils with cheese on top, (shout out to mom - your comfort food is loved all around the world) which she LOVED and insisted that we make it again the following evening. We stayed up until about 2am talking about politics in the EU, drinking wine, discussing my love for all things Russian, and how the Czech Republic is NOT Eastern, but Central Europe.
            My days were filled with wandering around the city where I stumbled upon this fabulous family museum (Lobkowitz), which housed the original score of Mozart's Fifth Symphony among other treasures. The story of the family was also very interesting; essentially everything was taken by Nazi's in World War II, returned for two years, then everything was taken by the Soviets and then finally returned around 1995. They also had some beautiful paintings of London in the early 1800s, (which got me really excited to be there again soon), and some crazy dinner sets. Definitely worth the trip, and if you're going to Prague any time soon you have to go there. The Jan Pollack monument is also a must.
             After Prague I ventured to Plzen a small town about an hour away from the capital. My reasons for going were to see another city in Czech Republic and also.... the Pilsner Urquell Brewery!!! I can't even explain how awesome that Brewery was - I drank beer out of a huge wooden barrel, so cool and so good! Also in Plzen I randomly celebrated a Mongolian Lunar New Year.  Let me tell you, those Mongolians can drink! There was this ceremonial bowl that was being passed around the room with vodka in it which you had to drink the entire contents of and say a wish for the New Year. I won't tell you my wish, but if you didn't drink for the bowl I was told that you'd have bad luck for 12 years. 12!!!!!!  So obviously, I couldn't condemn myself to that fate and drank. The bowl went around the room at least five times when I was there.  Before we left everyone was flush in the face, loudly singing Mongolian karaoke, dancing about the room and attempting to make me wear the ceremonial pointed hat.  Quite a party.
             Right now, however, I am in Bratislava, Slovakia and have been enjoying myself quite a lot. Today I went to a castle just outside the city with two other couch surfers from Canada; unfortunately once we arrived found that the castle was closed. We made friends with two other groups of people from England, who were also surprised the castle was closed since the guide book they owned, and the sign on the castle, clearly stated the castle was open.  BUT, who were we to argue with the Slovakian man running up to us, pointing back down the hill forcefully with a scowl on his face and saying something to the effect of "please leave now". Well probably just "leave now".  However, the castle was still nice to look at and, I enjoyed the trip.
            After the day of walking around I'm back at the apartment, which is painted a bright green and yellow on the outside, and trying to find out if I can some how live stream the Olympics on my computer. I really miss them!!!! At the bottom of this post is another extended arm shot of me on the river in Prague with the castle in the background.  Timothy I will be sending all of these to you at the end so you can use your expertise and compile a book.  Hahaha, until next time all!


1 comment: