Most of you know that I tend to move quickly. I think it's because I've grown up in New York, and there you always move quickly. Get from point A to point B, as fast as possible - doesn't matter if you have time to spare. This is the way I like to live my life, I really really like being someone who tries to move at an accelerated pace. I emphasize tries, because sometimes, no matter what you do life makes you slow down. About three weeks ago, my body decided that it was time to slow down.
I wish I had a better story, but sometimes life isn't that exciting. On my way from Luthuania to Poland I took a local train and, after reading an entire book there was nothing better to do then sleep. I took a nap, and because the bench I was sitting on was a little short, I put my foot up on a garbage can to relax. This, in hindsight, was a major mistake. After arriving in Warsaw my foot felt a little wierd, but I figured it was just from being propped up. By the next day I couldn't walk anywhere without being in excrutiating pain, it felt like someone was poking a needle into my foot everytime I took a step; after resting for two hours in a coffee shop, the pain would still not abate. I didn't really go out the next day, except to have a drink with my host, Agnesika, and when I walked I still was in major pain.
This pain increased so much by the time that I reached Karkow that I took to walking on just the ball of my foot because that was't as painful as walking normally. I looked like I had one high heel on, and one sneaker. Forward to Amsterdam, after another week of excruciating pain. I finally decided that it was time to call my international insurance company, who told me that due to my sleeping position on the train, I had pinched a nerve in my foot. The doctor in Amsterdam confirmed, and they both gave a diagnosis that in my mind was the kiss of death, "rest, and try not to walk too much." HELLO, I AM WALKING AROUND THE WORLD FOR THE NEXT NINE MONTHS!!! I was completely bumbed, rested for a bit, and then decided to keep going, what else could I do, I had a schedule to keep!
After Luxembourg, (thank goodness there wasn't that much to see there), I went to a small town in France, Metz, where I spent the day just walking around. By the end of the day when I was waiting for my overnight bus to Prague, I was debating cutting off my foot. I have never been in that much pain before, and this is coming from a girl who has broken multiple bones. About a week prior, my big toe had gone numb, but the rest of my foot was still in extreme pain. After a day of walking in Metz I couldn't feel any of my toes, but the rest of my foot felt like it was going to explode. I couldn't sleep on the bus because of the pain, and when we got to Prague all that awaited me was a cold sitting room. I was supposed to have arrived at 6:00am, however, the driver must have sped all the way or something because we arrived two and half hours early. After sitting in the cold waiting room for an hour, (my hosts were due to meet me at 4pm) my plans to lock up my bag and walk around Prague shot to hell, two French girls from my bus came over and told me they had found a warm waiting room. This was probably the happiest moment in my next few days considering it was a balmy 15 degrees outside, and I still had about 10 hours to wait for my hosts.
After sitting in the wating room for another three hours having already written in my journal, ate some fornetti (yummy puffed pastries with jelly inside), listened to my ipod, people watched, done about 5 sudoku puzzles and one monday crossword, I was bored, tired, and in pain. The information desk had finally opened at 7am and after finding out that there was an internet cafe located upstairs I got my bags and set off. The internet cafe saved me from having a break down. First of all the internet was only about .40 cents per hour, the woman in charge spoke english, there was a smaller waiting room in the back with a tv on an english channel (!!!) AND there was free coffee. I was so happy I could have cried. The rest of prague pailed in comparison to that amazing internet cafe. For the next few days I argued with my parents about what I was going to do about my foot (post a very unsucessful trip to a prague hospital), rested, saw none of the city, and tried everything possible to make my foot feel better. It is necessary to note also that my hosts Sabrina and Pavel were so understanding, and took such amazing care of me that it felt like I was at home. Thank you both so much for everything!! After flying to Copenhagen, I met Ditte for a quick lunch and then headed to Køge where Claus and Birgitte live to recouperate.
So far I've been here for about a week and a half and thankfully my foot is feeling way way way better. It must be the combination of Claus's cooking and being able to relax. The awesome physical therapist who, "ultrasoniced" my foot as well as "lazering" my toe probably didn't hurt either. Apparently I have ligament issues, or something like that. Whatever it was, I know that I feel a ton better, will go get one more foot treatment on monday, and then will be on my way! Here I come Prague (again)! Thanks also to Claus and Birgitte who put me up, and put up with me for so long! I can't wait to get back to travelling, and really can't wait to see Prague! After that I'm headed to Brussels for three days, and then Ireland with Christine!!!!!! Oh yea, and then South Africa with my parents - I live a hard life, with many life lessons learned. Number 1: Don't fall asleep with your foot on a trash can. Spread the word!
2/05/2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ouch! My foot hurt just reading about your travel travails. Glad you could rest in Denmark and get some needed physical therapy. Prague's architecture is so stunning that it's nice you can/could return for another visit. Have you seen any photos or videos of the February 5/6 blizzard that left almost 2 feet of anow in Washington D.C. It transformed the city into a magical white wonderland. Transportation shut down, schools and business closed, and it was mighty inconvenient but people seem to have taken it in good humor. On the Washington Post's site, you can see video of a happy snowball "fight" involving several thousand people in Dupont Circle. People were summoned by you tube and twitter. Our granddaughter, Marie, at U of Virginia was a bit stunned by so much snow coming from above. She's used to seeing it on the ground at Steamboat or Flagstaff. Emily, whose college is in Hickory, NC, has had heavy snowfalls on the last two weekends --- so she organized a dorm snow man building contest. As for Tucson, we've had a lot of rain in town and snow on the mountains surrounding us. We always need rain and we are grateful. We should have a beautiful spring.
ReplyDeleteGood traveling! Eloise & John