So I've finally gotten a bit settled, and my cluster (group of four volunteers total) decided to split an Internet usb drive, so I should be getting it every fourth day. Yay! I'm living happily in Dviri, a small village just outside of Borjomi. It's about 2 hours, (I think) from Tbilisi, and is situated in a beautiful valley. The weather changes every other second here, but when you get a nice moment or two, the views are spectacular.
I'm living with a family of 5, Mom (Shorena), Dad (Lasha), Sons, (Anzoli & Beguna) and Daughter (Mzia). They are wonderful and have taken my, chickatarian, non milk, vegetable and fruit obsessed diet with stride. I was pretty worried that I wouldn't be able to communicate with them, but my Russian has come in handy. It's so nice speaking Russian again, and it's also exciting to learn Georgian. FYI I've yet to find but a few similarities between the languages, mostly just random vocabulary words, so the Russian isn't helping me learn Georgian, but it's helping me communicate! I speak a mixture of Russian-Georgian. Speaking primarily in Russian and inserting words I know in Georgian. Example: kartooli ochen troodni yeazek - Georgian(Georgian) is a very hard language(Russian). Is does get confusing at times, but it's actually quite fun because my host family does the same when they know I know a word! It's even helping me expand my Georgian vocab!
As for my schedule, I go to school Monday - Saturday. Brutal. Half the time I'm so exhausted and stuffed with hacapuri (cheesy bread) I don't even know what the date is. Sunday is my only free day, and I usually spend that studying as well. This language is no joke. Things that get me through are: massive amounts of snickers, tea, my host family, my family, reading, running, and watching the random farm animals roam the road. There is this pig next door that I swear should be white with black spots, but is more grey with dark blotches. He is hysterical. I didn't know where he lived until yesterday morning I saw my neighbor open the gate for him, to let him out for the day. Pigs, man. Smarter than you think! At least pigs and farm animals here are - he comes home every night! AND, get this. The other day I came home from school to legit OXEN in my yard plowing. It was amazing. And it just gets better... one volunteer says that the oxen show up to her house, every Thursday morning about 9am, plow attached ready to go. Insanity!!!
Otherwise, my life is pretty grand. I have no idea where I'll be living for my permanent site... I'll sadly only be living here until mid July (swearing in ceremony is on the 15th) and then I'm off to my final site. Already thinking that my home here just can't be beat since it is pretty amazing. I have the entire top floor to myself, (which include three bedrooms and a living room) and....... wait for it....... a western toilet! Jackpot!! Plus I have a washing machine. However, none of this would be as awesome if it wasn't for my family. They are seriously great people. Plus, Lasha has already indicated if I am not happy in my new home that they will come visit to cheer me up. So nice! I've also been told I am now an Official Kevlishvili.
Hope all is well back home, and I will try to update more regularly now that I have Internet. Missing the city for sure, and all of you lovely people in it. Thinking of taxi cabs and pizza from Two Boots..... Ghame Mshvidobisa - Good Night!
No comments:
Post a Comment