9/02/2010

T MINUS.... 33 days!

I still can't decide if that title is one said in jubilation or in horror.  Of course, I am excited to see my family and friends.  Beyond excited for my father's home cooking, speaking english, living in new york (which in my opinion, and after extensive research this the past year is STILL the best city in the world) and in general just excited to be home.  However, looking out my window at copenhagen I can't help but feel sad.  This city, and London too, had been by home away from home for the past year and I'm not sure I can give it up.  Danes, to me, are still some of the friendliest people I have ever met, and when I walk around London I feel like I could belong there.  It is a great feeling knowing that, though my trip is almost over, I've met some amazing people and could honestly pick up my things and leave new york and not have major problems adjusting to a different way of life.  Not saying that I will... at least not in the next few months.. but it is a nice thing to know.  It's also a nice thing to know that you have a multiple places in the world that I can go and be surrounded by family and friends.  It's a better thing to know that I can go home and keep exploring.  This trip has made me even more excited about exploring the US, and NYC in particular.  My mom used to say when my sister and I would complain that there was nothing to do, "you should never be bored in New York City.  Go find something to do, there is always something happening."  As much as I hate to admit this mom, you are right, and I cannot wait to explore when I get back.  Dare I even say it, I'm willing to cross the bridge into Brooklyn.  Maybe I'll even explore parts other than the two blocks around Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.  Queens......... maybe.........  I know my exploration pace will get slowed down by everyday life, but as long as I'm going somewhere new in the city every week I'll be happy.  Hey, and even if I'm not, I'll be happy because it's New York City. 
As for what the rest of my trip looks like I have a few more days here in Copenhagen and then I head to Amsterdam.  I plan on meeting up with my friend Johanna who I worked with in Santorini, and also another friend from Athens as well.  After that the EU (or just those stupid schengen countries) kicks me out, and I'm headed to Scotland.  Shley is supposed to meet up with me there, and then we'll journey to the highlands, and even possibly the Isle of Skye, together.  Everything is coming full circle, I began with Shley in Kosova, and now a new adventure with her before heading home.  I'll meet up with my mom in London on the 24th of September, and after a 10 day mother daughter trip (which looks to be pretty amazing) I'll head back state side.  Starting to hyperventilate a little bit, but I know that it will be great to be home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment