Direct quote from Jana. To say, "Georgia is hot" doesn't even begin to explain how the heat feels here.
The other day when I went to Kutaisi with Ariana to meet up with Caitlin, Brittany and Latoya for a beer and some girl talk we had no idea it would be as hot as it was. We went into our pub, (named PUB) to eat some food and when we emerged about an hour later it felt like someone had kicked me in the chest with fire. It was 43 degrees. I.E. 110 freaking degrees Fahrenheit! Zestaponi in the morning had been a balmy 41, but those two little degrees made a huge difference. Currently I am in Tbilisi for a few nights, and my 5 minute walk from the metro station to the temperature controlled mecca that is the Peace Corps Volunteer Lounge left me dripping. S.E.X.Y. The only other time in my life that I've experienced temperatures this hot was last summer in Rome with Ditte when we waited to get into the Vatican for two hours in 43 degree heat. I vowed I would never return to Rome in July ever again, but I had no idea that Georgia could be worse than Italy! Sadly everyone I've spoken to tells me that August is worse. I hope they are wrong.
Otherwise things are going pretty well. I had my summer camp this past week and I came up with a global theme. The first day we learned about Scotland and began learning about Argentina. The second we finished Argentina and then studied Egypt. The third day we compared Georgia and America, and the final day the students gave presentations on their assigned countries. I didn't want the camp to be held in the school, so I talked to my counter part and she arranged for us to be marshutkaed up into the mountains where her father is supervising the construction of a church. We woke up early everyday, (7!!), met at school at 7:45am, marshutkaed for a half hour, then hiked for 45 minutes up into the hills. It was craaaaaazy hot and everyone was sweating but it was totally worth it. The students absolutely loved it, and every single one came back for all four days of the camp. The camp ran until 2:15, when then we hiked down the mountain and marshutkaed back into town.
On the third day of the camp I brought out my map so that the students could pick a country in the world and do a report on it for the next day. Instead of giving them the chance to choose, (I wanted to spice things up a bit and make it fun) I blindfolded them, spun them around three times and then made them point at the map. It was hilarious and great. They chose countries such as, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Australia, Russia, Taiwan, Greenland, Mexico, etc. The next day after their presentations, (which were amazing I might add) I gave them little certificates with the flag of each country that we studied on it, and then personalized it by drawing the flag of the country that they presented on. It was really wonderful. I had such an amazing time doing the camp, and Ariana was a wonderful help. She came out for all four days of the camp and was so so so great.
As for now, like I said I'm just chilling in Tbilisi, tonight is the last night that Shley and Caspar are in Georgia and it is a wonderful coincidence that I'll be able to see them one last time. They came a visited for two days while I was in Dviri, and it was so fabulous to see great friends. Shley and I have made a habit of meeting up around the world and travelling, and I'm so happy we could add Georgia to our list. She's about to start Law School, and with me being here for the next two years we'll have to put our traipsing on hold for a while. So I'm off to across the street for some bean, yes I said BEAN Kinkali, (the first non meat kinkali I've found in Georgia) and a pint of German beer with another PCV Alice. Hoping that this heat subsides a bit since I don't have wonderful Lake Lonley to jump in, but if it doesn't I'll just have to have another beer. Lots of love from Georgia!
The other day when I went to Kutaisi with Ariana to meet up with Caitlin, Brittany and Latoya for a beer and some girl talk we had no idea it would be as hot as it was. We went into our pub, (named PUB) to eat some food and when we emerged about an hour later it felt like someone had kicked me in the chest with fire. It was 43 degrees. I.E. 110 freaking degrees Fahrenheit! Zestaponi in the morning had been a balmy 41, but those two little degrees made a huge difference. Currently I am in Tbilisi for a few nights, and my 5 minute walk from the metro station to the temperature controlled mecca that is the Peace Corps Volunteer Lounge left me dripping. S.E.X.Y. The only other time in my life that I've experienced temperatures this hot was last summer in Rome with Ditte when we waited to get into the Vatican for two hours in 43 degree heat. I vowed I would never return to Rome in July ever again, but I had no idea that Georgia could be worse than Italy! Sadly everyone I've spoken to tells me that August is worse. I hope they are wrong.
Otherwise things are going pretty well. I had my summer camp this past week and I came up with a global theme. The first day we learned about Scotland and began learning about Argentina. The second we finished Argentina and then studied Egypt. The third day we compared Georgia and America, and the final day the students gave presentations on their assigned countries. I didn't want the camp to be held in the school, so I talked to my counter part and she arranged for us to be marshutkaed up into the mountains where her father is supervising the construction of a church. We woke up early everyday, (7!!), met at school at 7:45am, marshutkaed for a half hour, then hiked for 45 minutes up into the hills. It was craaaaaazy hot and everyone was sweating but it was totally worth it. The students absolutely loved it, and every single one came back for all four days of the camp. The camp ran until 2:15, when then we hiked down the mountain and marshutkaed back into town.
On the third day of the camp I brought out my map so that the students could pick a country in the world and do a report on it for the next day. Instead of giving them the chance to choose, (I wanted to spice things up a bit and make it fun) I blindfolded them, spun them around three times and then made them point at the map. It was hilarious and great. They chose countries such as, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Australia, Russia, Taiwan, Greenland, Mexico, etc. The next day after their presentations, (which were amazing I might add) I gave them little certificates with the flag of each country that we studied on it, and then personalized it by drawing the flag of the country that they presented on. It was really wonderful. I had such an amazing time doing the camp, and Ariana was a wonderful help. She came out for all four days of the camp and was so so so great.
As for now, like I said I'm just chilling in Tbilisi, tonight is the last night that Shley and Caspar are in Georgia and it is a wonderful coincidence that I'll be able to see them one last time. They came a visited for two days while I was in Dviri, and it was so fabulous to see great friends. Shley and I have made a habit of meeting up around the world and travelling, and I'm so happy we could add Georgia to our list. She's about to start Law School, and with me being here for the next two years we'll have to put our traipsing on hold for a while. So I'm off to across the street for some bean, yes I said BEAN Kinkali, (the first non meat kinkali I've found in Georgia) and a pint of German beer with another PCV Alice. Hoping that this heat subsides a bit since I don't have wonderful Lake Lonley to jump in, but if it doesn't I'll just have to have another beer. Lots of love from Georgia!
Your breakdown of the shower routine actually almost made me fall on the floor laughing. Thank you for that!
ReplyDelete